Windows

Re-enabling AutoPlay in Windows 7

I noticed that the AutoPlay feature stopped working for me some time ago. It may have something to do with the fact that I have virtualization software such as VMWare and Daemon Tools installed. I managed to re-enable the AutoPlay functionality by changing the following value in the registry:

The value was set to 255 (in decimal) or ff (in hexadecimal), meaning that AutoPlay was disabled for all devices. Once I set this value to 145 (the Windows 7 default value), and killed and restarted the explorer process (because I’m too lazy to restart the PC), AutoPlay started working again.

Some people have reported that the following has also helped them:

1. Start -> type “run” into the search box then [enter] -> run box is open, type “gpedit.msc”, [enter]
2. A new window is open. Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> 3. AutoPlay Policies. Click on it.
4. On the right hand side, double click “Turn Off AutoPlay” and set it to “DISABLED”
5. Do the same to “Turn Off Autoplay for non-volume devices”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*